I'd been putting off clearing out a cupboard in my house for quite some time. We had the cupboard doors replaced so I was forced finally to do it. What a wonderful trip down memory lane! Under old photographs, in-between books, wrapped in a tablecloth, I found a collection of recipes. Paging through it I found this recipe, which I immediately remembered and in fact regretted that I hadn't made in twenty-odd years. After all these years, I wouldn't want to regret not sharing it with you.
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 small purple onion, peeled and sliced (This gives the salad dressing a lovely pink tinge)
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large apples (I use Pink Lady)
- 8 0z fresh asparagus, cut into 1 inch slices
- 14 0z baby spinach (any other spinach is too bitter)
- 2 avocado pears, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
1. Combine the honey, vinegar, onion, mustard, salt and oil in a glass bowl.
2. Blend with a hand blender or in a food processor for about 2 minutes until well combined.
3. Check for sweetness - you may prefer to add a little more honey.
4. Chop up the apples (skin on) and immediately place them into the honey dressing to prevent them from going brown.
5. Place the cut asparagus in a separate bowl and cover with boiling water. Count to 10 and then discard the boiling water and immediately fill
the bowl with ice-cold water. Wait 10 seconds and discard that too.
6. Place the spinach on a platter, followed by a layer of asparagus, half the apples in honey dressing, all the avocado and the other half of the
apples. Finally, top with the cranberries.