We gave this lean meatloaf an Israeli twist with a little harissa mixed in, but if you can’t find or don’t like harissa, feel free to keep it simple with tomato paste.
This recipe calls for egg yolks, save your egg whites for schnitzel coating.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large Spanish onions, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Jamie Geller Harissa mixed with 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 pounds ground white meat chicken or turkey
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
1. Caramelize onions in a large saute pan, lightly coated with evoo, over medium high heat until dark brown, very soft and fragrant. Add garlic, harissa, cinnamon, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl.
2. Add chicken broth, oats, egg yolks and ground chicken. Mix thoroughly without pressing too hard or the meatloaf will be tough.
3. Pile meat onto lined baking sheet and form into a loaf shape.
4. Roast meatloaf until a thermometer, inserted, registers 150°F. About 40-50 minutes.
5. Cool slightly before slicing.
- Calories: 390
- Carbohydrate Content: 13 g
- Cholesterol Content: 240 mg
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 57 g
- Sodium Content: 1360 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g