Based on a traditional brisket recipe, this vegan brisket is made with jackfruit and not only looks like the melt in your mouth brisket of your dreams, but miraculously tastes like it too. It is delicate and best served over or alongside a bowl of mashed potatoes for an elegant presentation.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 (7-ounce) packages jackfruit
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup good quality dry red wine
- 1 cup water
- Heat evoo in a medium sized deep pot over medium-high heat. Add onions season with salt and pepper, and sauté stirring occasionally until softened and golden about 5 minutes. Add jackfruit and garlic and sauté until fragrant about 2 minutes. Add tomato paste, and sear until paste has darkened and is very fragrant, paste should be dark red and not black.
- Add wine and scrape up any browned bits with a spatula. Add water, stir, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper and serve warm.