To make the best, fastest soup, start with a rich and flavorful veggie broth. You can make your own by simmering a mix of onions, carrots, celery, and potatoes in water that just covers the veggies for about 1 hour, then strain and use as needed.
Serve with Vegan Matzo Balls if desired.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled roughly chopped
- Several sprigs flat leaf parsley
- Small bunch fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon Jamie Geller Hawaij
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- In a large deep stock pot, over low heat, heat evoo and saute onions for about 10 minutes with the cover on, stirring every couple minutes. This helps add real depth of flavor to a vegan soup.
- Add garlic, carrots, celery, potato, parsley, dill, hawaij, turmeric and salt and pepper and cover with broth. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for at least 20 minutes until all vegetables soften. Season soup with salt and pepper to taste and serve with noodles and/or matzo balls.