The trick to making vegan matzo balls is to bake them this will keep them from falling apart in the hot soup. You can also store matzo balls in the fridge and rewarm in the oven before serving.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 12 matzo ballsServings
1 medium potato, unpeeled, boiled
- ½ cup matzo meal
- 1 tablespoon potato starch
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 2 tablespoons soda water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped herbs, such as parsley and dill (optional)
- In a medium mixing bowl, peel and grate boiled potato on the fine side of a box grater. Add in matzo meal and potato starch and mix well.
- Stir in evoo, soda water, salt, pepper and herbs if using.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 275ºF.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. With well oiled hands form matzo balls by gently rolling a spoonful of matzo ball batter to approximately 1-inch in diameter in the palm of your hands.
- Arrange matzo balls on the lined sheet pan. Bake at 275ºF for 20-25 minutes, carefully turning after 10 minutes. Cook until firm to the touch, but not browned.
Serve immediately warm from the oven or cool, cover and refrigerate. Before serving, warm matzo balls briefly in a 200ºF oven. Place warm matzo balls in soup bowls with “chicken” soup.