Editor's Note: This non-dairy Vegan Queso (Cheese) with Salsa is perfect for those who can't have dairy, or to pair with a meat meal. Plus, the salsa gives it a fun kick! Make sure to soak the cashews in advance.
- Prep Time
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked and drained (To soak the cashews, put them in a bowl with 1 cup water and cover for at least four hours.)
- 3 tablespoons large-flake nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plain unsweetened almond milk, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 (16 oz.) package Sabra homestyle salsa
- 1/4 cumin (optional)
1. Put soaked cashews in blender with nutritional yeast, turmeric, salt, and 1/4 cup almond milk.
2. Blend on medium speed until a chunky paste forms.
3. Add additional 1/4 cup almond milk and blend for about a minute more on medium speed, scraping down sides of the blender as needed.
4. Add 2/3 cup salsa and 1/4 cup water to mixture and blend on high until smooth.
5. Stir the remaining salsa into the mixture, and add cumin if desired for a smokier flavor. Queso can be served heated through or at room temperature. Enjoy!