Shakshuka, traditionally is a Middle Eastern dish of poached eggs in a spicy tomato pepper sauce. For this vegan version, we used white beans to "beef" up the sauce and make it the perfect comforting meal any time of day.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion (3 oz), sliced
- 1 large red pepper (6 oz), sliced
- ½ cup water
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 28-ounce can chopped plum tomatoes with juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound cooked white cannellini beans
- 1½ pounds leafy greens: swiss chard or kale, chopped
- Garnish: toasted bread, cilantro and fruity extra virgin olive oil
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat in sauce pot. Add onion and pepper and cook slowly until translucent, about 15 minutes.
2. Add water halfway through and cook until evaporated.
3. Add garlic, cumin, paprika, and chili powder and and cook one more minute.
4. Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, and leafy greens. Simmer 10 minutes until thickened. Add beans to warm through.
5. Drizzle with olive oil and serve with toasted country bread.