I made this with regular veggie sausage, but I think it would be better with Soyrizo if you can find it and you can add any vegetables on hand - it holds up really well as leftovers or Saturday lunch too.
Ideally you would make this all on the stove top in one large pan as paella is meant to be made. Saute the veggies and the sausage, add rice and tomatoes, add water, cover and simmer. The directions below are for people like me who don't have a large pan and want to move it to the oven.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package of veggie sauasage links (preferable soyrizo), cut into large pieces
- 1 can artichoke bottoms, quartered
- 1 large can (32 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2½ cup medium grain brown rice
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups water
Preheat oven to 400℉.
1. In a large skillet, saute onion in oil for a couple of minutes, add veggie sausage. When browned transfer to large baking pan/casserole.
2. Add artichoke bottoms to hot skillet and allow to brown. Prepare tomatoes, by crushing them with your hands, add saffron and paprika to the tomatoes. Pour rice into skillet and stir for a minute, add tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
3. Pour everything from the skillet into the large baking dish on top of the sausage. Add water, cover with foil and place in oven. Bake for 45 minutes or until rice is cooked and all liquid is absorbed.