My Veggie Cheese Casserole began as a usual Jewish-style noodle kugel, but I loaded it with add-ons: mushrooms, carrots, spinach (but you could include cooked, cut up vegetables of your choosing). This one is wonderful for a vegetarian or dairy dinner and also makes a good lunchbox item for kids.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 bunch spinach, washed and dried, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 (12 ounce) package medium-wide egg noodles
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 9x9” baking dish.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a sautée pan over medium heat. Add the onion and mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the carrots and spinach and cook for another 1-2 minutes or until the spinach has wilted. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3. Cook the noodles according to package directions, drain and place in a large bowl.
4. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, the cooked vegetables, eggs, sour cream and ¾ cup of the Swiss cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir to mix ingredients well. Place in the prepared baking dish.
5. Sprinkle the top with the remaining Swiss cheese, Parmesan cheese and paprika. Bake for about 35 minutes or until the top is crispy and brown.