These rice wraps can be easily customized to suit your tastes and the produce you have on hand! For a picnic, you can pack these in a tempered glass container with a slightly damp cloth to help keep the rice wraps moist and pack the sauce in a small mason jar.
- Prep Time
- 4 Servings as a side, 2 Servings as a mealServings
Veggie Rice Wraps
- 8 sheets rice paper
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 red apple, peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- 4 inches cucumber, sliced into long strips
- 1 cup (250 ml) baby spinach
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) cabbage, shredded
- 2 organic eggs, whisked in a bowl, cooked as an omelet, then sliced into thin strips (optional)
- 4 sprigs cilantro
Almond Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) almonds (or almond butter)
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) water
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) tamari
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon (2 ml) ginger root, grated
- Sea salt and cayenne to taste
Veggie Rice Wraps:
1. Soak one piece of rice paper in warm water until soft. Carefully remove, allow excess water to drain, and lay out on flat surface. Arrange veggies in a row along center of rice paper. Add greens last. On your first few attempts, fewer veggies will be easier to roll.
2. Leave about 1½ inches (4 cm) at both ends and carefully roll the wrap up, leaving long edges open. You’ll take care of those with the second piece of rice paper.
3. Soak and drain a second piece of rice paper, and lay out on flat surface.
Place roll along center of second piece of rice paper, folding end edges in
first and then roll in remaining sides.
Pack it! If you make extras to take for lunch the next day, store in an airtight container with a slightly damp cloth or paper towel to help keep the rice wraps moist.
Almond Dipping Sauce:
1. Put all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. You may need to scrape down the sides with a spatula and re-process.
Photo by Catherine Farquharson
Excerpted from Undiet: Eat Your Way to Vibrant Health. Copyright © 2013 Meghan Telpner. Published by McClelland & Stewart, a division of Random House of Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved