- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (can substitute half whole wheat flour for slightly denser and healthier muffins)
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 2 cups bran cereal (such as All-Bran)
- 1 large egg or 2 whites, 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (such as Canola oil)
- 3 cups Wild Blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)
1 In large bowl, combine bran cereal and milk. Let stand about 5 minutes or until softened.
2 Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3 Set aside. Add egg and oil to softened cereal mixture and mix thoroughly.
4 Add flour mixture, stirring only until just combined. Do not beat. Fold in walnuts. Gently fold in Wild Blueberries.
5 Portion evenly in 12, 2 1/2" muffin tins coated with cooking spray.
6 Sprinkle each uncooked muffin with 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar, if desired. Bake in preheated 375°F oven 25 to 30 minutes.
7 If frozen berries are used, add 5 to 10 minutes to cooking time.
Source: Wild Blueberry Association of North America