When life gives you carrots and their tops, make this Israeli-inspired side, vegetarian main, or mezze (Mediterranean small plate). No more throwing out your vegetable tops — use them.
Green tahini is all the rage and I love this version for many reasons. Soft carrot tops (the greens, save the tough stems for making vegetable broth) have a delicate carrot flavor and when combined with honey, a splash of lemon, and a bit of garlic, create an addicting sauce you will want to schmear on everything. Ok, maybe not on cake, but for sure on everything else.
Don’t get hung up on exact measurements here. Just go for the bright green color and flavor. You can find our favorite za'atar on Amazon, Jamie Geller Za'atar.
Make sure to use a great quality extra virgin olive oil. We love Colavita!
Related: 3-Ingredient Carrot Salad
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- carrots serve 4, scant 2 cups sauceServings
Green Carrot-Top Tahini
- 1 bunch carrots (colorful carrots are nice here)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Jamie Geller Za'atar
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Garnish: rough chopped carrot tops
Green Carrot-Top Tahini:
1. Place carrot greens, parsley, mint, garlic, lemon juice, honey, and evoo in food processor. Puree at high speed until a bright green pesto has formed. Add tahini and pulse to mix.
2. Taste the sauce, it probably needs salt! Adjust seasoning. Leftover tahini can be stored covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Cut carrots in half lengthwise and arrange on prepared baking sheet.
3. Drizzle carrots with evoo, za’atar, salt, and pepper. Roast at 375°F for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until tender and browned.
4. Schmear a platter with a good dollop of Carrot-Top Tahini and arrange carrots on the sauce. Garnish with a drizzle of evoo and additional chopped carrot tops.
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter.