This Chanukah, fry up some Jewish-spiced soul food with crispy fried chicken flavored with the Middle Eastern spice Zaatar and falafel flavored waffles made from chickpeas.
If you don't have a waffle iron, go ahead and made chicken and pancakes, we won't tell anyone.
Make sure to use a great quality extra virgin olive oil. We love Colavita!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 to 10Servings
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ small onion, diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 egg whites
- 4 to 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
Za’atar Fried Chicken:
- 3 cups extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into finger-sized pieces
- 3 egg whites
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons za’atar
- 1 tablespoon sumac
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup tahini, whisked with ¼ cup water
- Garnish: za’atar and sesame seeds
1. Preheat oven to 200°F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Add evoo, chickpeas, parsley, cilantro, baking powder, cumin, coriander, onion, garlic, egg whites, flour, salt, and cayenne to a food processor. Pulse until smooth batter forms.
3. Heat a waffle iron.
4. Brush the plates with oil and ladle a small amount of batter into the iron. Be sure to leave a bit of space for the batter to expand.
5. When waffles are cooked through, transfer them to the parchment-lined baking sheet and keep them warm in a 200°F oven.
Za'atar Fried Chicken:
1. Add evoo to a heavy gauge frying pan, fitted with a deep fry thermometer, over medium-high heat. Line a plate with several layers of paper towels.
2. In a shallow bowl or plate, combine flour with za’atar, sumac, cayenne, salt, and pepper and stir together.
3. Toss chicken pieces into egg whites, then dredge chicken in flour mixture.
4. Once oil reaches 350°F on the deep fry thermometer, place a few pieces of chicken at a time in oil and cook for 5 minutes, until all sides are crispy and medium golden-brown.
5. Drain cooked chicken on a paper towel lined plate. Transfer to the baking sheet of waffles in the oven to stay warm until all chicken has been fried.
1. Place waffles on a platter and top each waffle with a piece of chicken. Generously drizzle tahini over chicken and sprinkle with za’atar.
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter.