When vegetables are spiralized they are so much more fun to eat. Now add them to a casserole with some eggs and you get a nice, healthy, kugel. You can easily make zucchini noodles at home with the help of a julienne peeler, a mandolin or a spiralizer.
Looking for a more tradition kugel, try these famous Potato Kugel Cups.
Want more zoodles, check out 11 ways to zoodle.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 large multicolored carrots (about 1 pound)
- 1 large zucchini (10 ounces)
- 1 large onion
- ⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup potato starch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 eggs
- ½ cup shredded fresh basil, plus more for garnish
1. Use a spiralizer to create the longest strands of carrots, zucchini, and onions you can. If you don’t have a spiralizer, you can thinly slice the onions and use a julienne peeler to create strands of the carrots and zucchini. (you should have about 2 cups onions and 4 cups each carrots and zucchini)
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Toss 1 cup total of the zoodled carrots and zucchini with 2 teaspoons olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper and set aside. Heat the ⅓ cup oil in a very large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions with a generous pinch of salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until soft and lightly golden, 9 to 10 minutes. Add the zoodled carrots, zucchini, and another pinch of salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the vegetables have softened slightly but are still firm, 3-4 minutes.
3. Grease a 9 x 13 glass or metal baking dish with the remaining teaspoon of olive oil and transfer the vegetables to the dish and let cool for 10 minutes. Whisk the potato starch, water, 2 teaspoons salt and ½ teaspoon pepper in a large bowl until the potato starch is dissolved into a paste, then whisk in the eggs and basil.
4. Pour the egg mixture over the zoodles, tapping and shaking the dish so the eggs get into every corner. Scatter the reserved carrots and zucchini over the top and bake until the center is just set, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from the oven, garnish with fresh basil, and cut into squares.