A family favorite, this cake is moist and flavorful, and goes well with the next day’s coffee too!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup almond milk
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 stick of butter (room temp)
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 4 oz. chocolate chips (to be melted with a splash of whole milk)
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Mix together the sugar and coconut oil until smooth. Add the eggs and extracts and mix well. In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Alternate between adding the almond milk and the dry ingredients into the sugar/oil mixture. Mix well.
3. Split the mixture into two halves, pouring each half into one 8” pan (I like spring form pans). Bake for about 30-45 minutes or until the cake becomes a bit golden and a knife comes out clean. Set cakes aside.
4. Once the cakes have cooled, take them out of their pans. Spread frosting on top of one cake half (if it isn’t fully cooled, the frosting won’t stick well). Place the other cake half on top of the frosted cake half. Spread the remaining frosting on top of the cake and on the sides. Top with sliced almonds if desired.
To Prepare Chocolate Buttercream Frosting (no mixer necessary) :
1. In a sturdy, medium/large bowl, break up the butter into small pieces using a wooden spoon.
2. Using the backside of the spoon, cream the butter against the bowl until completely smooth. Slowly add and work the powdered sugar into the butter (it’s recommended to sift the sugar, but it’s fine if you don’t).
3. Stir in the whole milk a little at a time until the mixture is completely smooth, with no large clumps. Take a moment to stir as quickly as possible, creating “airiness”. If needed, you can add a bit more powdered sugar, or a bit more milk, to get the desired texture.
4. Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave with a splash of whole milk for about 30 seconds. Mix the chocolate until smooth and let cool. Mix completely into the frosting.