This fruit salad is great as a pareve dessert, or use it as a topping for ice cream or yogurt.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 5 cardamom pods
- ¼ piece fresh ginger
- Zest of one lemon
- 4 dried figs or dates, quartered
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 3 Asian Pears
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
1. Fill a medium saucepan with 2 cups water. Add sugar, vanilla bean, cardamom pods, ginger, and lemon zest. Bring to a boil, and cook until sugar is dissolved. Let it cool a few minutes (it should still be hot,) then stir in dried figs and cranberries. Let it cool completely.
2. Meanwhile, peel and core pears. Slice thinly lengthwise or chop. Place in a large bowl, and toss with the lemon juice.
3. Once the syrup with dried fruit has cooled, pour it over pears. Cover and chill it for 30 minutes or overnight.
4. Before serving, strain out some of the liquid. Sprinkle coconut over top and serve.