- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 ServingsServings
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 6 large eggs
- 10 slices French bread, (1-inch thick) cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 ounces low-fat cream cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Topping:1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries or other fruit, thawed
1 Preheat oven to 400°F.
2 Combine flour, milk, sugar, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and eggs in a large bowl and beat with an electric or hand mixer until smooth. Add bread cubes and stir until coated.
3 Pour bread mixture into a greased 9 x 9-inch baking pan. Drop cream cheese cubes evenly over the top. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
4 Bake uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Drizzle each serving with melted butter and fruit topping. Sift powdered sugar lightly over top.
5 To make topping:Combine water, corn starch and sugar in a medium pan and cook over medium heat or in a microwave. Stir frequently until thickened. Add fruit and continue to heat until fruit is warm.
Source: Wheat Foods Council