These latkes have a delicious savory flavor from the onions and squash, but the apples add the perfect hint of sweetness to them. If your taste runs a little bit sweeter, you can add some sugar to the batter, or try it with a sweeter variety of apple.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 25 to 30 latkes ServingsServings
- 2 large onions, sautéed in olive oil
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and divided into large chunks
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and core removed
- 3/4 cup potato starch
- 7 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- Olive oil, for frying
In a skillet over medium heat, sauté onions in olive oil until golden brown. Set aside.
In the bowl of a food processor, shred butternut squash and apples. Place in a large mixing bowl. Combine with sautéed onions, potato starch, eggs, salt and pepper.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil. Use a small measuring cup (about 1/3 cup) to pour the batter into the frying pan. Leave plenty of room between the latkes. Fry on each side until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
As seen in the Joy of Kosher with Jamie Geller Magazine (Passover 2012) – Subscribe Now