This healthy and refreshing salad is a colorful dish that will brighten up any meal. Cabbage Chana Dal Salad is perfect for a summer brunch or a light meal during any season. It is a traditional vegetarian Indian dish that is increasing in popularity because it accommodates a wide range of palettes. Even if you have not experimented with many Indian dishes, this is one that will surely spark an interest in further exploration. What makes it even better is the fact that it is not so "out there" that your kids will push it aside. If a healthy, vegetarian Indian dish for the whole family is what you are looking for, Cabbage Chana Dal Salad is the meal for you.
- 4 ServingsServings
- 2 cup very finely chopped cabbage
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 10 minced mint leaves
- 1/4 cup yellow chana dal
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon ginger juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Allow the chana dal to soak for at least 2 hours in lukewarm water. It is ready when the dal is soft all around. Drain the water.
2. Mix the chana dal with the rest of the chopped vegetables.
3. Mix all the salad dressing ingredients thoroughly.
4. Toss the salad dressing with the vegetables. Allow the mixture to sit for a half an hour to an hour so that the salad becomes marinated and the flavors combine.