Real deal caramelized onions do not need sugar. The sweetness in caramelized onions is achieved by patiently cooking onions over low heat so that the natural sweetness of the onions are released.
This is the most well known method to make basic caramelized onions on the stove top. Check out 3 more ways to make caramelized onions here.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cupServings
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 3 large red or Spanish onions, peeled and cut into thin slices
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Heat a pot or pan large enough to hold onions, on medium heat. Add evoo, onions and salt and cook over medium heat for ten minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for an additional 50 minutes, stirring every ten minutes or so.
- Once that time is up, you can further cook the onions if you would like them even more caramelized.