Baked and not fried. Whole wheat flour and carrots and absolutely delicious. Get your carrot cake and eat it too. Keep it extra healthy with coconut sugar, but if you can’t find it regular sugar will be fine.
If you don't have a doughnut pan this makes 24 small muffins/cupcakes.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 12 doughnutsServings
- 1 ½ cups extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 2 cups coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 ½ cups chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a doughnut pan with cooking spray.
2. Beat evoo, sugar and salt together until sugar dissolves. Add eggs one at a time and beat after each egg. Add vanilla and combine.
3. In a separate bowl, mix cinnamon, ginger, cloves, flour and baking soda together.
4. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture and mix, being careful not to over-mix. Fold in carrots and nuts.
5. Divide batter into greased doughnut pan filling the sections about ¾ of the way to the top.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean
1. Whisk confectioner’s sugar, maple syrup and salt together. Pour over cooled doughnuts.