I make this real quick and easy with baby carrots or just a little more work with regular size carrots, chopped up. Feel free to add more ginger if you like to really taste that spice and garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds or croutons.
This soup can be served hot or cold so it is perfect for long holidays.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 1½ cups chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 1½ medium carrots, peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
2 Add onion; sauté 4 minutes. Add ginger and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add chopped carrots, sweet potatoes and lemon peel; sauté 1 minute. Add 3 cups stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover partially and simmer until carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes. Cool slightly.
3 Puree soup in batches in blender or with an immersion blender. Return soup to pot. Mix in lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)
4 Bring soup to simmer, thinning with more stock, if desired. Ladle into bowls.
Garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds, if desired.