Carrot tzimmes is a classic Jewish holiday dish. In this quick and easy recipe, orange jam is the secret ingredient that sets this traditional dish apart.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 pound carrots
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks,
- 1/2 cup prunes
- ½ cup orange jam
- 1½ cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock for parve version)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 sprig rosemary or ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- pinch of salt and pepper
1. In a medium stockpot, place carrots, sweet potato, parsnips, prunes, orange jam, chicken stock, ginger, rosemary, salt and pepper.
2. Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer and cook for twenty minutes, covered.
3. Serve warm.
Tip: If made in advance, add extra stock for reheating.
Recipe originally published in Joy of Kosher with Jamie Geller Magazine Fall 2014 Subscribe Now