- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 servings ServingsServings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cup finely chopped, unpeeled sweet-tart red apples
- ½ cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced (about ¾ teaspoon)
- 1/3 cup very finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ pounds ground chicken or turkey (white and dark meat)*
1 Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add apple and onion. Cook about 2 minutes or until nearly tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook for 30 seconds more. Transfer mixture to large bowl and cool to room temperature.
2 Stir basil, sage, salt, coriander, and pepper into apple mixture. Add ground chicken; mix with hands until just combined (do not overwork meat mixture). With damp hands, form mixture into sixteen 1/2-inch-thick patties. Transfer to a tray or baking sheet lined with plastic wrap. Cover and refrigerat
3 To use, thaw sausage patties in refrigerator, if frozen. Heat nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sausages. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted near centers reads 165° F, turning patties over halfway through cooking. Drain on paper towels before serving.
4 *To grind your own ground chicken, cut boneless skinless chicken breasts and thighs into 1-inch pieces. Place the pieces in a food processor container. Cover and process with on/off turns until the meat appears ground and holds together when pressed with your fingers (do not overprocess).
U.S. Apple Association