This recipe uses a Mexican-inspired rub for the chicken fingers. Making a rub, which is a mixture of spices to be applied to meat, fish, and poultry takes very little time. I like to triple and even quadruple this rub recipe and keep it in a tightly sealed container in my spice cabinet – this way it’s ready to go in no time.
Unwrap It: Serve as a gorgeous salad with dressing on the side. This way everyone can dress the salad to their liking and it won’t get soggy in transport. Travel with dressing in a mason jar so it’s easy to re-shake before pouring.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 Wraps or 4-6 Salad ServingsServings
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 3-inch strips
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus 3 tablespoons, divided
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 8 leaves Bibb or Butter lettuce
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- 1 mango, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, ribs and seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, green part only, thinly sliced
- 4 (8-inch) soft flour tortillas, optional
To make the rub:
1. In a large bowl combine, cumin, paprika, salt, and garlic, onion and chili powders. Rub over chicken fingers and set aside for 10 minutes.
2. In a large sauté pan heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken fingers and sauté for 10 minutes or until cooked through.
3. In a medium bowl whisk together remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, honey, and lime juice.
To serve as a salad: Line a platter with lettuce leaves and top with chicken, avocado, mango, onions, red pepper, and scallions. Pass dressing on the side.
To wrap it up: evenly Divide and layer chicken, lettuce, avocado, mango, onions, red pepper, and scallions in soft tortillas. Drizzle with honey-lime dressing. Wrap and roll.
As Seen In Joy of Kosher With Jamie Geller Magazine (Summer 2014) - Subscribe Now