For this classic chicken with mushrooms and wine, we amped it up with the addition of artichokes, served over rice it is quick elegant meal. The artichokes provide a unique blend of nutrients plus antioxidants which help reduce the risk for heart disease. They also have been found to improve many digestive disorders, so don’t leave them out.
If you want even more veggies, add fresh green beans or spinach if desired during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- ¼ cup whole wheat or spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- ¾ pound button or cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ½ pound artichoke bottoms, thinly sliced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- In a large heavy skillet, heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Pat chicken dry. Mix flour with ½ teaspoon salt and pepper, coat chicken in flour mixture and brown chicken in pan. Remove to a plate.
- Add onions,mushrooms and artichokes to the pan, saute until golden and all the liquid has evaporated. Add wine and cook mixture, stirring, until wine is almost evaporated. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add broth and chicken with any juices that have accumulated on the plate and simmer, turning chicken once, until cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Serve over brown rice and sprinkle with parsley.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 464
- Carbohydrate Content: 39 g
- Cholesterol Content: 91 mg
- Fat Content: 13.5 g
- Protein Content: 41.7 g