This stove top braised chicken is so juicy and moist and I just love the licorice like fennel (sometimes called anise) and vibrant red cabbage.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 (3-pound) chicken, cut in eighths
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) bag shredded red cabbage, rinsed and dried
- ½ head fennel, shredded
- 2 cups chicken broth, more if necessary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Applesauce (optional)
1. Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and sauté them for 5 minutes or until soft.
2. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to the pan and brown for about 8 minutes on each side. Transfer to a bowl.
3. Add cabbage, fennel, broth, and thyme to the pan, mixing well. Bring to a boil. Return chicken to the pan, reduce the heat to a high simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of QUICK & KOSHER Meals in Minutes by Jamie Geller (Feldheim 2010).
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for the Jamie Geller Newsletter.