- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 1 whole chicken (3.5 - 4 pounds), cut into eight parts
- 2 TBLS olive oi
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 stick (2 inches) cinnamon
- 2 lemons, one juiced and the other sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into half-inch thick slices
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 1 cup Golden raisins
- 1/2 cup pimento-stuffed Spanish olives
1 Preheat oven to 400 F.
2 In large non-stick pan or Dutch oven, warm oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
3 Add chicken pieces to pan and brown on all sides, turning at least once
4 Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
5 Lower heat to medium. Add to pan garlic, turmeric, ginger and cinnamon stick; cook, stirring constantly, for 15 seconds.
6 Pour lemon juice and stock into pan, stirring to scrape up browned bits. Place chicken back in pan.
7 Add potatoes, carrot slices, raisins, olives and lemon slices to pan around the chicken pieces. Raise heat to high and bring to a boil.
8 Cover pan and place in hot oven for 45 minutes. Remove lid and continue to cook for another 10 minutes, or until cooked through.
9 Serve immediately with parsley-flecked couscous.
Source: National Chicken Council