"Chopped" contestant and wise-beyond-his-years Chef Eitan Bernath can cook with the best of the best. And we put him to the test as he cooked side-by-side with our own Jamie Geller to make his take on the Purim classic, hamantaschen.
Dulce de Leche:
- 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk, label removed
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1¼ cups water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¾ teaspoon of salt
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Cooking spray
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Dulce de Leche:
1. Place the can of sweetened condensed milk in a medium sized pot. Fill the pot with water until it covers the can and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1½ hours. Carefully remove can from water and set aside.
1. Add butter and water in a separate medium-sized pot and place over medium heat until butter is melted and the water is simmering. Add salt and 1 tablespoon sugar to the pot and stir to combine.
2. Reduce heat to low. Add flour and mix for 30 to 40 seconds until it's fully incorporated and a dough begins to form. Transfer dough into a large bowl and let it cool for 5 minutes.
3. While the dough is cooling, combine the 2 cups of sugar and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside.
4. Mix in eggs, one at a time, until its forms a homogeneous mixture. Add vanilla extract and continue mixing. Place the dough into a piping bag fitted with a star tip.
5. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray. Pipe the churro dough in the shape of a triangle on the baking sheet, then pipe another dot of dough in the center and push that down with your finger. Freeze for 30 to 45 minutes, until the churro hamantaschen are hard enough to remove from the baking sheet.
6. Meanwhile, pour oil into a large Dutch oven or heavy bottom pot and place over medium high. Once oil reaches to 350°F, fry the churro hamantaschen for 1 to 2 minutes per side, until golden brown. Immediately transfer cooked churros into the bowl of cinnamon sugar and toss to coat.
7. Place the churros on a serving plate and spoon some of the homemade dulce de leche into the centers of each of the hamantaschen. Serve immediately and enjoy!