Crispy shallots are a professional chef’s best friend. We use them whenever we need a tasty crunchy garnish. The secret to crispy shallots is to cook over medium low heat and in plenty of oil. Don’t worry, the oil can be used to sauté in... bonus!
- 4 large shallots, peeled and sliced very thinly on a mandoline or with a knife
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper
1. Line baking sheet with paper towels.
2. Place a 9-10 inch sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add about 1/2 inch of oil. Cook the shallots very slowly until they turn golden brown. Be patient! This could take 15 minutes. Transfer the shallots to the lined pan and season with salt and pepper.
3. Store the shallots in a container with a tight-fitting lid at room temperature for up to 3 days.
4. Save the tasty oil in the refrigerator for sautéing or drizzling on matzah. YUM!