Fennel adds interest to the taste of these latkes, and they are so yummy served with applesauce.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2½ pounds potatoes, unpeeled
- 2 to 3 fennel bulbs
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Canola oil for frying
1. Shred potatoes in food processor and then put them back in with the blade and pulse a few times. Strain grated potatoes through a colander, pressing out excess water. Transfer to a medium bowl.
2. Process fennel with steel blade until chopped fine. Transfer to bowl with shredded potatoes.
4. Add eggs, flour, and seasoning; mix well.
5. Heat ½ cup oil in skillet. Line baking sheet with paper towels.
6. Place 1 large tablespoonful of batter at a time into hot sizzling oil and fry on one side until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Turn over and fry on other side 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from pan and place on paper towels to drain excess oil. Continue until all latkes are cooked.
7. If desired fry fennel fronds, serve as garnish.
8. Serve hot, with apple sauce on side.