I developed this nut free charoset when my grandson was allergic to nuts. Luckily he can handle coconut and loves dried fruit.
- Prep Time
- 3 cup (s)Servings
- 1 cup chopped dried figs
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 navel orange
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 2 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/3 cup apricot jam
- 1/4 cup sweet white Passover wine
- pinch or two cayenne pepper
1. Combine the figs, apricots and raisins in a bowl. Peel the orange and remove the outer white pith (leaving only the orange flesh).
2. Cut the flesh into small pieces and add to the bowl. Add the coconut, ginger, coriander, apricot jam and wine and mix ingredients.
3. Sprinkle with cayenne pepper to taste – you want a hint of heat at the back of your tongue; do not make overpoweringly hot. Let rest for at least one hour before serving. May be made 2 days ahead.