- 8 ounces cream cheese (light or regular), softened
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground coarse black pepper or to taste
- 24 large California asparagus spears, trimmed
- 6 oblong sandwich rolls, lightly toasted
- 12 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced, separated in to rings
1 Thoroughly mix cream cheese, lemon zest and black pepper. Reserve.
2 Put asparagus into a large skillet of boiling, salted water. Return to a boil; boil until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes. Drain well; spread on paper towel to cool.
3 To assemble sandwiches, spread 1 generous tablespoon of reserved cream cheese mixture on sliced rolls. Divide salmon in 6 portions. Layer onion rings on bottom of roll, then 1 portion salmon and 4 asparagus spears, interspersing asparagus between slices of salmon.
4 Cover sandwiches with tops; cut diagonal.
Source: California Asparagus Commision