Brown rice with a mixture of vegetables can be a side dish to meat, chicken or fish, or can be served as a central vegetarian dish.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1½ cups brown rice
- 8 large garlic cloves, pressed
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup yellow crookneck squash, cubed
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels or frozen, thawed
- ⅓ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
1. Heat oil in heavy large skillet over low heat. Add onion; saute until golden and tender, about 10 minutes.
2. Add rice and garlic; saute 1 minute.
3. Add 3 cups water and salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover tightly and cook until rice is tender and almost all liquid is absorbed, about 35 minutes; do not stir.
4. Uncover skillet and place green beans, squash, broccoli, corn and carrot evenly over surface of rice. Cover and cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes.
5. Remove from heat. Stir in red bell pepper and sesame seeds.
6. Mix in soy sauce. Toss to coat. Serve immediately.