Start with a frozen loaf of gefilte fish, surround it with veggies, top with tomato sauce and you will get a moist, flavorful, new kind of gefilte.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 - 6Servings
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 small zucchini, do not peel, sliced (optional)
- 1 gefilte fish loaf, defrosted just enough to get paper wrapper off
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano or if you have fresh herbs, a sprig or two of thyme and oregano
- ½ potato cut in quarters, optional, I experimented doing this and I think it makes the fish less salty, which when you add the next ingredient it is sometimes too salty
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- ½ cup water
- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- Place half of sliced onions and carrots on bottom of a 9x9-inch glass oven proof baking dish.
- Add fish, then remaining carrots, onions, and zucchini placing some of the vegetables on top of fish and some on the side.
- Pour sauce on top of everything. Add water and sprinkle on seasonings.
- Place a potato wedge in each corner of the dish. (Potatoes are just for baking, I wouldn't serve them).
- Cover with parchment paper. (I like it, I know some people out there would use foil, I notice the tin flavor reacting with the tomato sauce so I use parchment).
- Place in preheated oven for about 1 hour.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 20 minutes.