A great make-ahead meal, you can store in the fridge for about a week or the freezer for a few months, just note that it will thicken, add broth when serving.
Before serving, if desired add fresh spinach and let wilt for a minute or two and enjoy lots of extra vitamins.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium Yukon Gold potato, not peeled, cut into chunks
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 heaping tablespoon curry powder
- 1½ cups dried yellow split peas
- 6-7 cups cold water
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 whole wheat pitas, toasted
- Garnishes: finely chopped flat leaf parsley, 2 cups fresh spinach
1. Heat evoo in a large Dutch oven or saucepan, over medium high.
2. Sauté onion, carrots, celery, and potato for 7 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned and caramelized. Add garlic, ginger, and curry powder. Continue cooking for 2 minutes more to sear spices.
3. Add peas and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 40 to 55 minutes, or until the peas are soft and fairly creamy.
4. Using an immersion blender or standard blender, puree half the soup, leaving some texture (you want to have some chunkiness to the soup). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls, and serve with chopped parsley and toasted pita.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 507
- Carbohydrate Content: 92.2 g
- Fat Content: 6.5 g
- Fiber Content: 26.5 g
- Protein Content: 25.9 g
- Sodium Content: 432 mg
- Sugar Content: 9.6 g