Watermelon is a great fruit for the grill. Grills best when left in large planks or strips. The watermelon's flavor develops once grilled and becomes center stage in this summer salad. Have leftover watermelon from Shabbos dessert? Use it on Sunday’s grill!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 (6-ounce) bag baby spinach
- ½ red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 Persian cucumber, cut into thin strips
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small seedless watermelon, cut into planks or large strips
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons honey (based on your preference)
1. Prepare dressing by combining all dressing ingredients in a covered container. Taste before use and adjust flavors as warranted. If you like it sweet—add more honey; less salty— add more oil. If you’re short on one type of vinegar, simply use 4 tablespoons of the other. You can also add a fresh herb such as dill, or some toasted sesame seeds for a nice twist.
2. Preheat grill or grill pan, brush watermelon with light olive oil, and lightly season with salt and cracked black pepper.
3. Grill watermelon just enough to sear and create grill marks. This can be accomplished by placing the watermelon at the 10 o’clock and 2 o’clock position on the grill.
4. Open spinach bag, sprinkle a tablespoon of kosher salt and black pepper inside, and shake.
5. Place a handful of spinach on the bottom of your bowl, and then add a bit of red pepper, cucumber, tomato, and red onion. Reserve some vegetables to place on the top of the salad. Repeat these steps until you are out of products or your bowl is full.
6. Add your dressing by pouring over the top and letting the dressing settle.
7. Place your grilled watermelon on top.
Watermelon can be replaced with a protein, or for a dairy alternative add feta cheese. This is a perfect salad for any meal, anytime.
Recipe published in JOY of KOSHER with Jamie Geller Magazine Summer 2014. SUBSCRIBE NOW