Want to make a REAL Shawarma?! This is how you do it.
Fall in love with the authentic shawarma flavors that will remind you of your last trip to Israel.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tablespoon Jamie Geller Shawarma Spice
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds turkey thighs, off the bone and cut into pieces
- 1 red onion
- 1 skewer
- 1 red onion
- 1 tablespoon Jamie Geller Sumac
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
Topping the laffa
- 6 laffa breads
- French fries
- Israeli salad
- Prepare the turkey thighs by slicing into ½-1 inch thick pieces.
- In a large bowl, mix together Jamie Geller Shawarma Spice, olive oil, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Add the turkey thighs and mix. Set aside or cover and refrigerate to marinade.
- For the sumac onion salad, in a separate bowl, mix the red onion with Jamie Geller Sumac, the apple cider vinegar and salt.
- Preheat oven to 350℉ / 180℃.
- To prepare the shawarma skewer, place half an onion (flat side down) on a baking sheet and press a skewer into it. Layer the pieces of turkey on the skewer. At this point, to prevent the shawarma from tipping over, you can use multiple skewers to add more support!
- Bake for 1 hour. It's recommended to place some oven-proof dishes around the shawarma to prevent it from tipping over. But if it does tip, it's okay, because this is a fun experimental cooking technique!
- Slice the shawarma once cool enough to handle and stuff the laffas with your favorite toppings!