Everyone will love these Israeli hot pockets. Perfect as an hors d’oeuvres or snack, you can store un-baked bourekas in the freezer for up to 3 months. No need to thaw. Brush with egg wash and bake about 45 minutes or until brown and crispy.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 18 bourekasServings
- Extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 1 medium Spanish onion, diced small
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes or more to taste
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- Garnish: Sesame or poppy seeds
- Heat a large saute pan, lightly coated with evoo, over medium heat. Caramelize onion until golden brown. Add mushrooms to pan and saute until golden brown.
- Add garlic, paprika, and crushed red pepper flakes and continue sauteing for just a minute until garlic is fragrant. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cool filling before proceeding.
- Roll out dough just a bit to an even thickness. Cut 3-inch squares.
- Place 1 tablespoon of filling in the center of each square. Fold square over to form a triangle. Crimp edges with a fork.
- Chill bourekas for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Whisk egg with 2 tablespoons of water. Brush each boureka with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes or until crispy and brown.