Change up your classic Israeli salad like Michael Solomonov from Zahav with mangos and the unique flavor of sumac. The simple sumac onions can be added to all your favorite salads.
- Prep Time
- Salad serves 4 to 6, Onions yields about 1 cupServings
Simple Sumac Onions
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Jamie Geller Sumac
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 mangoes, peeled and cut around the pit into small cubes (3 cups)
- 1 cucumber, diced (3 cups)
- ¼ cup Simple Sumac Onions, plus more for topping
- 3 tablespoons chopped, fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Simple Sumac Onions:
1. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
1. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, toss to combine, and serve with additional sumac onions on top.
Excerpt from ZAHAV by Michael Solomonov. Copyright © 2015 by Michael Solomonov, Steven Cook. Used by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.