- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Soybean oil (vegetable oil)
- 2 quarts vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 quarts water
- 3 cups textured soy protein (10 oz.)
- 2 cups brown rice, uncooked
- 2 teaspoons oregano leaves, dried, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves, dried, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 quarts diced tomatoes, canned
- 2 cups zucchini, diced (3/4-inch)
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped (optional)
1 Saute onion and garlic in oil until tender.
2 Add broth, water, soy protein, brown rice and seasonings. Bring mixture to boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
3 Add tomatoes, zucchini and celery; return to boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
4 Portion 12 ounces into large bowls, if desired.
5 Sprinkle 1 teaspoon minced parsley over each serving.
Source: © 2010, Courtesy of United Soybean Board