I love to turn leftover rice into the fried kind, loaded with vegetables, but usually I make it Asian with mushrooms and sno peas, today I am trying it Mexican flavored with beans and peppers and well there is always room for mushrooms.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup chopped peppers (any color including jalapeño if desired)
- 2 cup leftover rice (best when day old)
- 1 cup cooked red kidney beans
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1. In a large sautépan over medium heat, sauté onion for 2 minutes in 1 tablespoon evoo. Add mushrooms and garlic and sauté 4 minutes more. Add peppers and cook until soft.
2. Add remaining evoo with the beans, rice, paprika, and cumin. Stir well to coat grains with oil and spices. Add salsa, mix well, adjust seasoning to taste and serve garnished with cilantro.