Gefilte fish is usually considered an Eastern European dish, but it can really be made a variety of ways. Try this Mexican version for your next Shabbat meal.
WATCH: Jamie prepares her signature Spiced Gefilte Fish Recipe.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- Juice of 3 limes
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems removed
- 1 (8-ounce) can green Israeli olives, pitted
- 1 loaf frozen gefilte fish
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add onions and saute until slightly brown. Add tomato sauce, lime juice and cilantro.
3. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Add olives and simmer one more minute.
4. Place frozen gefilte fish in a 9 x 13-inch glass baking dish. Pour sauce over fish and bake covered for 1 hour at 375°F.
5. Remove cover and bake an additional 20-30 minutes.
6. Chill overnight. Slice and serve cold.
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter.