This quick turnaround meal is delicious and perfect for weeknights, Sunday dinner, tailgating or anytime. The recipe is delicious with duck or turkey sausage, but equally tasty with pan seared chicken or turkey. To serve as an autumnal side dish or vegan entree, simply leave out the meat.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large red onions
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 4 firm apples (such as: Honeycrisp or Fuji), skin-on, cored and cut into quarters
- 1 small head red cabbage, cored and cut into eighths
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 cup dark beer, such as Guinness or Aventinus
- 1 pound sliced sausage (duck or turkey work well here) Kosher salt Freshly cracked black pepper
1. Heat a large sauté pan, lightly coated with extra virgin olive oil, over medium-high heat.
2. Sauté onions until very dark and very limp. This takes a while but is worth the wait.
3. Reduce the heat to medium, add garlic and caraway seeds, and stir to combine.
4. Add apples and cabbage and continue cooking until apples are browned.
5. Add apple cider vinegar, cider, and beer. Cook until cabbage is wilted and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
6. Add sausage and cook until warm.