Since Jamie is from Philly we decided we needed a healthy version that anyone can enjoy and we did it. Here’s our healthy philly cheesesteak using portobellos.
For the cheese you can use anything except for American which is highly processed. Provolone is popular for this recipe but not always available, so we like cheddar, gouda, muenster and mozzarella or a blend of them.
Serve with our Green Salad and/or Sweet Potato Fries.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon worcheshire
- 4-6 large portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed, sliced thin or 1 ½ pounds mixed mushrooms (cremini, oyster, shiitakes)
- 4 ounces thinly sliced cheese
- 4 whole-wheat hoagie or sub rolls, split and toasted
Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place onions and peppers on one side of sheet pan and mushrooms on the other. Drizzle both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast veggies in oven for 25 minutes, remove from oven, drizzle with worcheshire, toss well, combining all veggies and place back in oven to cook another 15 minutes.
- Move veggies into 4 equal portions, top each section with 1 slice of cheese and place rolls in oven to lightly toast. Cook until cheese is melted and bread is toasted.
- Transfer each portion of veggies and cheese to the bread and enjoy sandwich.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 369
- Carbohydrate Content: 52.8 g
- Fat Content: 14.1 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 14.3 g