- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 9 ServingsServings
- 4 slc. day-old whole wheat bread, cubed (about 1-1/2 c)
- 3 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced (about 3 c)
- 1/4 c. light brown sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp. Ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1-1/2 c. California raisins
- 6 tbsp. apple juice concentrate, thawed
1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
2 In a small bowl, combine bread cubes with butter; mix well.
3 Press half of mixture in bottom of a 9-inch square glass pan.
4 In another bowl, combine apple slices, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla, raisins and concentrate.
5 Turn apple filling into pan; spread evenly and top with remaining bread mixture.
6 Cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 35 minutes.
7 Increase oven temperature to 400°F; uncover and bake for 20 minutes more.
8 Cut into 9 squares and serve warm topped with frozen nonfat vanilla yogurt, if desired.
Source: California Raisin Marketing Board