Editor's Note: Aquafaba refers to the liquid of canned chickpeas, or the liquid leftover from cooking beans at home. This Rose-Scented Aquafaba Foam and Meringue Bowl uses a vegan alternative to traditional meringues.
This recipe contains the whole spectrum of textures: from the most ethereal lightness, to the crispiest crunch, all interlaced with floral perfume.
Feel free to substitute or omit topping ingredients as you please, or use the recipe for inspiration, as pretty much any seasonal fruit would be great, and/or you can use chocolate chips, granola, seeds, or anything you'd like.
- Prep Time
- 1/2 cup aquafaba
- 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon rosewater, to taste
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts (or any other nuts), chopped into coarse pieces
- 1 pomegranate, seeded
- 1/4 cup culinary grade dried rose petals
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs, optional
- 1/4 cups unsweetened dried coconut, optional
1. Prepare 1 batch of prepared Aquafaba Meringues. Set aside.
2. Prepare foam: place aquafaba, vinegar and salt in the bowl of a standing mixer and mix with the whisk attachment until stiff peaks form. Be patient and make sure peaks are stiff, and don’t worry about overwhipping.
3. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, waiting 30 seconds in between each addition.
4. Once all sugar has been incorporated, add rose water, and whip for 1 more minute.
5. Divide foam into 6 bowls, add one or two meringues into each bowl, either whole or crushed, and sprinkle each with nuts, pomegranate, rose petals, cacao nibs and coconut (if using). Serve immediately.