Want to make sure your challah is extra fluffy? Try using seltzer in place of water with this recipe for super fluffy challah.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 challahsServings
- 1 ¼ cups warm water (110°F/45°C)
- 1 ¼ cups Vintage Original Seltzer
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- ½ cup honey
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds (optional)
1. In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over barely warm water and Vintage Original Seltzer.
2. Beat in honey, oil, 2 eggs and salt.
3. Add the flour 1 cup at a time, beating after each addition, graduating to kneading with hands as dough thickens. Knead until smooth and elastic and no longer sticky, adding flour as needed.
4. Cover with a damp clean cloth, and let rise for 1 ½ hours or until dough has doubled in bulk.
5. Punch down the risen dough, and turn out onto floured board. Divide in half, and knead each half for 5 minutes or so, adding flour as needed to keep from getting sticky. Divide each half into thirds, and roll into long snake about 1 ½ inches in diameter. Pinch the ends of the 3 snakes together firmly, and braid from middle. Either leave as braid or form into a round braided loaf by bringing ends together, curving braid into a circle; pinch ends together.
6. Grease 2 baking trays, and place finished braid or round on each. Cover with towel, and let rise about 1 hour.
7. Heat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
8. Beat the remaining egg, and brush a generous amount over each braid. Sprinkle with poppy seeds if desired.
9. Bake for about 40 minutes. Bread should have a nice hollow sound when thumped on the bottom. Cool on a rack for at least 1 hour before slicing.