- Pineapple Pico de Gallo : 1/3 Cup chopped plum tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon chopped green bell peppers
- 1 Tablespoon minced sweet onion
- 2 Tablespoons fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/2 Teaspoon minced fresh jalapeno, seeds removed
- 1/4 Teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 Teaspoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Dash each salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 Teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice, 1/4 Teaspoon olive oil
- Turkey Burgers :
- 2 Teaspoons chili powder
- 2 Teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 (4-Ounce) Turkey Burgers
- 4 Each whole grain roll, split
- 4 Large green leaf lettuce leaves, washed, dried and chilled
1 Pineapple Pico de Gallo : Combine all ingredients. Cover and chill for at least 1/2 hour.
2 Turkey Burgers : Combine chili powder and cumin.
3 Place frozen turkey burgers on preheated 350 degree F grill. Season with 1/2 teaspoon chili/cumin mixture. When “puddles of juice” form on the surface (about 3 minutes), turn burgers. Sprinkle surface with another 1/2 teaspoon chili/cumin mixture.
4 Grill for 3 to 5 more minutes on second side or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
5 Turn burgers one more time to sear surface.
6 OR broil frozen turkey burgers in a preheated broiler, 4 inches from the heat source, for 4 to 6 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
7 On base of roll, layer 1 lettuce leaf, cooked turkey burger and top with Pineapple Pico de Gallo. Place top of roll on sandwich and serve.
Source: National Turkey Federation