Spring onion chutney makes a perfect complement for roasted chicken, fish and vegetables.
The chutney can be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or frozen for 1 month.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cupServings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound spring onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of crushed red chili flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat a medium saucepan, lightly coated with olive oil, over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until the onions are lightly browned (about 5 minutes).
- Add the garlic and continue cooking until the garlic has softened (about 2 minutes).
- Add red chili flakes, brown sugar, vinegar, wine, mustard seeds, and raisins. Decrease the heat to medium-low. Cook the chutney until the liquid has evaporated and the onions are very soft (about 20-30 minutes).
- Salt and pepper to taste.